With the advancements in technology, cardiologists now have more than one way of treating heart conditions. Yes, you read that right! Some may be treated without performing the dreaded open-heart surgeries. This is all possible due to interventional cardiology. Doctors working in this specialty utilize advanced catheter-based techniques to diagnose and treat various heart ailments and offer many benefits. Read on to learn more.
Advantages Of Interventional Cardiology Procedures
Interventional surgeries not only ensure highly successful outcomes but also enhance the overall experience for heart patients. Here are some benefits of using this approach:
- Less Painful Surgery and Minimal Scarring
Unlike traditional surgeries, interventional cardiology is minimally invasive. The process involves inserting a catheter through a tiny incision, thus, minimizing pain and skin scarring. In fact, you do not even have to wait long; the entire process can be completed in mere 30 minutes.
- Shorter Recovery Period
Nobody wants to stay in bed all day, especially when you have a busy routine and people to feed. In this fast-paced world, interventional cardiology offers a shorter recovery time, benefiting patients and their attendants. They do not have to stay in the hospital following the treatment procedure. This means you can return to your routine activities and enjoy life sooner.
- Reduced Risk of Heart Attacks
In addition to easing symptoms such as shortness of breath and chest pain, these techniques can open up clogged arteries and restore blood circulation too. Doing so significantly reduces the risk of heart attacks, helping you lead a healthier life.
- Suitable for Infants and Children
Interventional cardiology, particularly balloon valvuloplasty, is highly effective and less painful for babies and minors with heart diseases. This minimally invasive approach ensures successful treatment while minimizing discomfort for young patients.
- Cost-Effective Solution
Compared to traditional heart surgery procedures, interventional procedures are more cost- effective.
Conditions Treatable With Interventional Cardiology
Here are some of the medical conditions that can be treated:
- Arrhythmia: This is a condition that refers to irregular heart rhythms. You will hear doctors say that the heart is either beating too quickly, too slowly, or irregularly. This branch offers targeted treatments to restore a normal heart rhythm, improving overall cardiac health.
- Angina Pain: If you have narrow arteries and experience chest pain due to that, these minimally invasive techniques can provide effective solutions to alleviate symptoms and improve blood flow to your heart muscle.
- Congenital Heart Defects: Some people are born with heart conditions known as congenital heart defects. These conditions include atrial septal defect and patent foramen ovale. Interventional cardiology techniques can correct these defects and improve heart health from an early age.
- Heart Failure: It is when your heart loses its ability to supply sufficient blood to the body. Doctors can now optimize this condition with these non-invasive procedures.
- Myocardial Infarction (Heart Attack): When a section of the heart muscle does not get an adequate amount of oxygen-rich blood, tissues die, resulting in an attack. These procedures aim to restore blood flow promptly, minimizing the damage caused as a result of an attack episode.
Here, at Northwest Heart Centre, we have our team of experts ready to take care of all your heart needs. We are located at 13406 Medical Complex Drive, STE #110, Tomball, TX 77375. Connect with us via (281) 351-6250 to schedule an appointment.